Sunday 4 March 2018

Don't be behind the times

Hello again!

I hope you've already started with your content curation tools; I'll tell you a secret, move your ear closer...these tools are addictive. I created another  Pinterest board and it won't be the last time. You will see why I need emojis 😊

My two neurons and I agree that new technologies must be present in our daily lives, but we agree too, that we need to use them with common sense and with a real purpose in our lessons.

It doesn't matter if you are a nostalgic or an expert using PowerPoint, you do know that it's an out-dated platform to make presentations; sorry, I had to say it! Let's see which apps are useful for teachers and why we need to use them.

  • Prezi: it appeared years ago, for this reason was a revolution. The movement of the "slides" in the main board is the attractive of this app. For some people, that movement is stressful. My neurons agree. 
  • Powtoon: don't expect a slideshow because Powtoon doesn't offer it. It's an app to make videos. It's not an intuitive app, but I love challenges and I created some videos for my presentations. The main problem, or the challenge, is that if you want it to use for presentations, you must  coordinate your voice with the video; it seems easy, but it isn't. Here you have a video that I created for Instituto Cervantes in Manchester when I worked with them as a Spanish teacher. 
  • Genial.ly: one of the newest ones. I am learning about it; but until now, I know that: it's got attractive templates for presentations, video presentations, lists, maps and a large etcetera. Add resources, change the interactivity, add your own background... and if you want more, upload your profile to the premium plan and enjoy.
I created a slideshow with Genial.ly. The main topic is food, the lesson will be for 4th graders and it would be in the English lesson. First you need to bear the learning objectives in mind. For me, these are: 
  • The students can identify general food and classify it in different groups: diary, spices, fruits, sweets.
  • The students can make sentences by their own with picture support.
Second, you need to discover; there are thousand of resources, games and applications that you can find with each topic. I recommend you ESLgames+ and ClassTools: jigsaws, board games, roulette wheel and videos are only some few games that you will find here. 

Third, enjoy and create material that you like it! If you believe in the things that you are doing, your students will love them.

This is my presentation: 




I will be honest; it takes some time to create new materials and to know how to use new applications. We think that when we have a job it's all done. But that is not true. Try new things, explore, take a risk, leave your comfort area. Your students will thank you and you will be happier 😍 (right neuron talking).

Here you have the presentation, the real one! I couldn't assist, then my creator, Soraya, had to do it. Don't be too strict with her, she did her best :-) 


That's all for today!

TwoTwo

No comments:

Post a Comment